Question:
Has anyone been to mental health center for evaluation?
skittles
2006-03-15 17:14:51 UTC
Just wanting to know if this has actually helped anyone that has had to go get evaluated? A boy has gone and said he has already changed in 2 wks. Can anyone help me on this?
Thirteen answers:
wunder_ffa
2006-03-15 17:20:20 UTC
Speaking from a personal experience, there is still a stigma attached to mental health care today. Getting evaluated is not a painful process for most but it can do a world of good. Most evaluations have personality testing and IQ (intelligence quotient) testing. As long as appropriate treatment follows the evaluation, you should see results in as little as 2 weeks. However, be warned: some patients will 'fake' being better just to get others 'off their back'. There is nothing to lose so go ahead and get checked! Or tell whoever it is to get checked!
kia
2006-03-15 17:29:45 UTC
I work in the mental health field. I have assessed many people. All I can tell you is that the outcome of an assessment depends on the person. It also depends on what you are being assessed for. Don't forget that evaluations and medication will not solve your problems alone. You have to do some of the mental work for yourself along with therapy (depending on the problem)
Deacon Blues
2006-03-15 17:22:23 UTC
It sort of depends on how open one is to getting help.

If, say, you, for instance, don't believe there's a problem, there's little use.

There's nothing wrong with therapy.

My experience was at a county-run facility in my hometown.

Dependent upon the nature of your problem, you may see a Master Social Worker rather than an analyst. MSWs are trained in counseling, and I trusted mine implicitly.

If you are in dire straits, the evaluator may, in fact place you with an analyst (i.e. psychologist or psychiatrist).
TheMoon
2006-03-16 13:09:45 UTC
It depends on what you are going in to see thie person for.. Sometimes it can take months or years, but if its not to big of a thing it can help people in weeks.. Also depends on if this person going in wants to be helped, or if they are going cause they have to go, cause someone is making them..

If the person wants help and is willing to try anything to get the help, then yes i think that it can..

I went, and went for moths, and it didnt help me at all. I am headed back there myself to try it again.
bettyblueeyes_05
2006-03-15 17:35:52 UTC
i was put in a mental hospital for trying to harm my family it did more harm then good and got stck there for 6 years they put you on meds like a ginie pig and the meds make you alot worse i dont think it helps just try to remind the person how great they are despite there wrong doings support is a great factor
Alyssa
2006-03-16 11:03:34 UTC
Yes I have. I was diagnosed with BPD and depression. Took therapy with a psychologist and medication from a psychiatrist simultaneously and both together worked wonders.
2006-03-15 17:16:46 UTC
Sorry i never been to mental health center for evaluation.

but check out the website about mental health center for evaluatoin. U might get planety of information about it.
furnace4bro
2006-03-15 17:16:22 UTC
Yes, I went a few times. It helps while you are there, but the tricky part is using what you learned in there when you get out so that you don't fu
2006-03-15 17:17:35 UTC
Yup, but I was turned down. They tested on my friend instead. Beware of Nurse Ratchet.
usa_angel_911
2006-03-15 17:18:23 UTC
no it didn't help me. it was manly just boring it just depends on what you are going for i go to mental health so there for i would know
skyegirl123
2006-03-15 17:18:03 UTC
ty for the 2 points!^^
ngsngsngs