Question:
how do you introduce spirituality back to someone who has lost it?
2006-03-27 16:17:43 UTC
specifically those individuals with mental illness due to drugs, alcohol, or depression.
Twelve answers:
Mago__98
2006-03-27 16:31:24 UTC
I just wanted to comment to MrMiyagi that the asker equated alcoholics, drug addicts, and depression to mental illness. Not lack of spirituality
2006-03-27 17:28:39 UTC
you cant tell a person who suffers for drugs, alcohol of depression to go back to there spirituality, thay have the choice to do as they please. when you come out of the illness you change alot! you see the world different most of the time. and there is those who just get worse they start to really hate the world and some times soon after they my commit suicide if they cant stand it and if they dont get the mental illness gone and if they dont get back to normal.
ramirezy
2006-03-27 17:18:59 UTC
First for the comment that they think it is disgusting that you equate mental illness with spirituality. I don't believe you are doing that first and foremost. I have a very close frined of many years who suffers from anxiety, depression (deep), OCD, and a number of other mental illnesses and I love and adore and cherish her. I am proud to say that I am a christian and have been for 8 yrs. and Jesus is more powerful than any mental, physical, emotional illeness out there. No! you can't force Jesus on any one and he does not call you to. God's word says you are to love them to Jesus not force feed them condemn them judge them or drag them kicking or screaming. Now please understand I don't believe that is what you are doing.

All you can do is love them with the love of God, pray for them constanly, never underestimate the mighty power of prayer. If they ask you for advice share with them what God has done in your life and how he has lovingly helped you thru a rough or strenuous time in your life. Let them know that Jesus loves them just the way they are right now at this moment. Jesus hung on the cross for the world (not just christians or those who do good) the WORLD that means the drug dealer, the prostitute, the athiest, the bitter person, the happy peron, black, white, arabic, jewish, asian, everybody and yes for those who suffer from a mental illness. LOVE THEM, pray for them be an example of the love of God. So many people use the name of God to hurt and judge and destroy and it gives the world such an ugly and distorted view of the beauty of God and his son and misrepresents the diety of Christ. Let this person see that he is real and within you. That not everyone who comes in the name of God is a hypocrite but there are truly people out there who love God and just want to share his love with others. Good Luck I will be praying for you and your friend. God Bless Yohanna ramirez
2006-03-27 16:25:51 UTC
A miracle.

By the way - I think it's disgusting that you equate a lack of spirituality with mental illness.
kobacker59
2006-03-27 16:22:17 UTC
I believe the only way to do this is by being a good witness--in other words, "lead by example". . .but never push it on someone or expect someone to follow suit.
2006-03-27 16:19:06 UTC
You can't. You cannot force someone to be spiritual. It has to come from within.
2006-03-27 16:25:02 UTC
Don't stab it at them or try to enforce it upon them. Give them what you believe and your experiences. Let them deal with what they hear. Hopefully, it'll only help them. =) Good luck
thelizzardking33
2006-03-27 16:23:13 UTC
show by example of those who are most spiritual give the most love :)
thena
2006-03-27 16:22:06 UTC
Well try talking to them about it... Don't force anything but let them know that you are there to talk about it any time they need... When they are ready then they will know that they can come to you...
2006-03-27 16:21:25 UTC
knowsitall is right If the person dose not want to belive you cna't make them no mater how many words you waste on them.
bcbcbc52
2006-03-27 16:55:42 UTC
By leaving them alone and letting them find what is best for them not you
lilbit123
2006-03-27 16:20:49 UTC
theyve got to find it themselves