Question:
Will welbutrin be good for depression?
cookie
2006-02-26 08:00:50 UTC
I have some left over, that i took for stop smoking. now i am going thru some really bad stuff right no and was wondering if these pills would help get thru the crying and not sleeping. tell me what you think
Seven answers:
HearKat
2006-02-26 09:20:46 UTC
I took it for depression only - I was not a smoker.

It didn't seem to work for me, as I had hoped it would. I had tried a few of the SSRIs (Prozac, Zoloft) and didn't really respond to them, so I tried the Wellbutrin because it works differently, yet I still didn't seem to get better. In fact, that was one of the worst episodes in my life and the only time I actually made an attempt on my own life.

I also tried Effexor, which is a combination of SSRI and another neurochemical regulator, but it gave me wacky dreams and I couldn't get a good night's sleep.

What works for one person will not necessarily work for the next one. It depends on your body chemistry and symptomatology. You know that it is safe for you, as you did not have side-effects when you used it to quit smoking, but you need to know that it's not going to make your problems go away or turn you into a happy-go-lucky person. Just think back to your emotional state when you were taking it previously, and that's about what you can expect if you take it now.

Also:

1) how old is the supply you have left? It may not be effective anymore if it's over a year old

2) Has your health status or other medications changed since you took it for smoking cessation? If so, you really need to check with your Doctor before taking it again.

Take Care, and Good Luck!
Spyder Woman
2006-02-26 20:38:22 UTC
You should never self-medicate! I've known people that have taken this both to stop smoking and depression/anxiety. Both had bad reactions - nightmares, severe mood swings that made them scream at people, sexual side effects. Everyone reacts differently. And even though you have taken a medication before, that does not mean you will react the same to it again. You need to discuss this with a doctor.
Wildflower
2006-02-27 09:18:58 UTC
I have had great success taking this medication. You should first talk to your doctor about your depression. He might feel that something else might be better for you. I am fond of this drug because alot of anti-depressants have sexual side efffects & this one does not. Good Luck!!!
2006-02-26 16:03:08 UTC
Since I can't give medical advice...ask you doctor. Wellbutrin does not work overnight anyways.
deerwoman777
2006-02-26 16:37:20 UTC
yes it is,my husband used it for depression...and it dosent have alot of bad side effects.
GABYKINS
2006-02-26 17:05:00 UTC
well i yes maybe i have depresion myself but i try to ignore it i wouldnt try anything but i say you should try it b/c im only 12 just brcareful not to have overdoese????
surfurguy126
2006-02-27 03:09:27 UTC
duuude no im not a blonde im more like a brunette and im a guy ...